Saturday, May 28, 2016

Easy Fix: How To Get Rid Of Frito Pug Stinky Smell

Artemis: Easiest Going-Low Maintenance-Dog Personality
I love my 10 year-old Pug so much, if both of us ever need to go to the doctor's and I can only afford to take one of us ... it's Artemis (not me) who gets to see the professional.

That said, veterinarians have not always been a very big help in treating my Pug's skin allergy problems. They've prescribed things like Benadryl - and other allergy meds - that have not helped my Pug's skin problems and hot spot breakouts at all. 


Little Red Riding Pug
Over the years, my dog Artemis has suffered from everything ranging from infected ears, to yeast infections between-the-folds in his face, to having horrible skin allergies where he ends up scratching himself all of the time to having a big squishy tumor removed from his scalp; surgically.

Not Even Regular Baths Could
Eliminate That Frito Pug Smell
Each vet visit made helping my dog feel comfortable get more and more costly. While he is the easiest-going dog on the planet, and therefore very low-maintenance as far as his personality goes, I have had to wash my Pug's face two-times daily, spent countless hours washing his ears with medication, and even bathed my Pug every couple of days in therapeutic vet-approved baths with oatmeal. I also used other expensive skin ointments and oral therapies just to keep him from scratching off his own skin.

In spite of my heroic "pet management" efforts, my Pug still suffered and in spite of his many baths he stunk like dirty socks, and had a Frito corn-chips smell about him the very next day after any vet prescribed bath.

With so much time, money, and effort spent trying to keep him comfortable - I finally began to rethink all the veterinary approved therapies I'd used and finally began to employ my own background as an amateur sleuth. Also having a great fascination with herbs, and having taken college courses in herbal medicine, I started slowly researching and introducing alternative therapies for my Pug.

WORD OF CAUTION: Never give your dog any herb or medicine that your are not certain is 100% safe. So many supplements people take can be terribly toxic to dogs. Many of the foods people eat (e.g., avacados, coffee, chocolate) can kill a dog. So it's probably very wise to consult with an expert if you aren't sure about how to treat your pet with what herbs or natural medicines. Meanwhile, the herbs I am about to recommend are completely safe. I have used them on my own fur-babies with great success. 

Before being treated with 2 tsp coconut oil,
daily, Artemis would scratch his own hair off
and suffered a number of red hot spots

 

FIRST TREATMENT I TRIED TO CURE MY PUG'S SKIN PROBLEMS


Turmeric, that yellow powder you find in the grocery store's herb section is a very powerful anti-microbial/anti-yeast treatment. I have been using Turmeric to cure all kinds of skin infections and wounds on myself, on my cat, on my chickens and on my Pug and I have to say this powder, when added to a little bit of water to form a paste, is the best possible salve for soothing insect bites, healing open wounds, and treating skin allergy hot spots around. Not only is Turmeric cheaper than most antibiotic ointments, but if the pet licks their Turmeric-treated wound they will not get poisoned. In my experience, Turmeric has cured wounds that antibiotics were not affecting at all. Turmeric has done the job even faster than vet-prescribed synthetic drugs. I cannot think of a faster, safer, or better cure for hot spots and skin wounds and in fact I cannot praise Turmeric LOUDLY or enthusiastically enough. 


In addition to treating my Pug's skin infections with a Turmeric/water paste, I would regularly add sprinkles of the herb powder to his every meal. The Pug loves the taste of Turmeric and, being human, you can sprinkle some of this known anti-inflammatory powder on your fried eggs, if you're not familiar using it for your own food.

CAUTION FOR USING TURMERIC ON YOUR PETS:


This powder will stain everything it touches. If you put it on a white dog, his skin and hair will look yellow. If he lays on a white couch - you got it - yellow stain wherever he laid. Remedy: Put a shirt or wrap over whatever area you are treating to keep from staining your furniture.


BENEFITS OF USING TURMERIC ON YOUR DOG:


Many sources claim Turmeric has anti-cancer properties. I have personally observed Turmeric helping cure every skin problem EXCEPT my Pug's yeasty-aroma. His yeasty inherited condition was getting so progressively worse, even after feeding him Turmeric, I hated taking him in my car to the dog park. That's  because the automobile would smell in the aftermath of having him ride in it even for a few minutes. That's even while my beloved Pug sat on a towel and I washed it after each ride.


HERE'S WHAT I USED TO CURE MY PUG OF THAT FRITO STINKY SMELL FOREVER 



I cannot claim to have found this cure on my own. It was my boyfriend/sweet domestic partner Art who actually suggested it. So I went on-line and did research and discovered that veterinarians talk about using this naturally made - relatively cheap - coconut oil as a pet food supplement. Yet I did not see any of them suggest it for curing stinky dog smell like my boyfriend insisted it would cure. In fact, I haven't found a site that talks about this cure for dog odor specifically, at all. Since I trust Art (who used to work at a healthfood/supplement store) we started trying it on my Pug and I have to say, two months after I started using it on my Pug - the results are already spectacular. 
2 months after feeding coconut
oil daily - fur is growing back. Most
hot spots are GONE! No detectable
Frito/Stinky odor!



CAUTION: Nothing happens immediately. This cure will work but you won't notice the difference until six weeks to two months



People have long claimed so many health benefits from eating coconut oil but who would have thought it would be good for dogs? In fact, I worried coconut oil might be harmful since oil is a "fat" and fats are well-known to be high in calories. No Pug needs extra help gaining weight. I mean, how many grossly fat Pugs have you seen gasping and waddling when their owners take them for a walk? (I've seen too many to count!) Fact is, Pugs love to eat! It's up to YOU and to me, their family members, to make sure they don't eat too much.

So with all the research I've done, reading veterinarian sites that claimed it was safe to give dogs coconut oil - I've not found ONE that would give me a recommended dosage for any size dog, let alone a 25 pound one. So all I can do for you, dear reader, is share the dosages that worked for treating MY PUG Artemis; where he did not gain weight at all. 


I decided to trust nature, my intuition, and my boyfriend Art's suggestion. Gave my dog one teaspoon full of coconut oil mixed in with his dry and wet dog food with each meal. My Pug eats two times a day. That means I gave him a total of two teaspoons of coconut oil each day and here are the observations I've had after six months of feeding my dog coconut oil.

It took six weeks but thanks to supplementing my Pug's diet with coconut oil
* My Pug has no more Frito body odor.
* Redness has disappeared from his skin.

* Fur he previously scratched off has grown back. (See pictures.)
* I can go weeks without bathing my dog and he smells like a normal dog (not too stinky to share blankets with)


ADDITIONAL HELP FOR ITCHY SCRATCHY PUG



Even with the coconut oil that I've supplemented my dog's diet with, my Pug still likes to scratch a lot. His pits still get red from his scratching in the morning. Here are two additional things I do to give him comfort (so he stops scratching himself). 


1. I rub JoJoba oil directly on his skin. My Pug loves JoJoba oil so much he rushes to me so I will rub it on his bare pits and paws. From his behavior, I would judge the JoJoba oil to be incredibly soothing to him. Reason I don't just rub coconut oil on his body is soon as I put it on he begins licking it off. JoJoba oil works better for that reason. It absorbs very quickly and he lets it stay there.

2. I put a toddler's size 2 T-shirt on my Pug and change it daily. Sometimes I need to crop the shirt (so it's not in the way of his needing to urinate). Yet I have noticed when he wears a T-shirt that covers his fore-pits he does not scratch there at all. The T-shirt covers his vulnerable spots and offers a visible sense of relief to his itching. Fortunately for me, Pugs like to be dressed up. I suffer no guilt for trying to force my dog into looking more like a boy by dressing him.


So there you have it. These are the treatments that I've used to have a much more comfortable, scratch-free dog. *Hope these treatments also work for you and your beloved pet.*

No comments:

Post a Comment